Version 0.3 installation issue

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Hi

I tried to open version 0.3 in VS 2010 and I am getting the following error when opening magelia.webstore.sln: Magelia.WebStore.Runtime.Modeling.modelproj cannot be opened because its project type is not supported by this version of the application.

Am I doing something wrong?

Can you also tell me how to start running Magelia from our VS 2010? I managed to create the db, but I don't know how to continue to start it from our VS 2010.

Many thanks and best regards.

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Hello,

Thanks for trying Magelia WebStore :-)

The Magelia.WebStore.Runtime.Modeling.modelproj is a modeling project, it contains only diagrams and it is not required for building magelia. Only architect or ultimate version of Visual Studio can open it, I think you don't have such a version, that's why you can't open it. You can safely ignore this error message.

If you want to run Magelia WebStore from source code, here are the different steps:

1. Open the Magelia.WebStore.sln solution ;
  2. Deploy the Magelia.WebStore.Data.Server to a database server ;
  3. Change web.config connectionString section of the Magelia.WebStore.Admin project ;
  4. Launch Magelia.WebStore.Admin project ;
  5. Try Magelia WebStore :)
    (default login and password is admin/magelia)

These steps are for version 0.3 only and will change for the next version : we are currently working on an easier setup process, we are adding a setup process to the Adminstration Console application and are working for being able to install Magelia WebStore directly from Web Platform Installer.

Let us know if you have any other questions or feedbacks.

Regards,

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Edited Dec 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Good Morning

Many thanks for your information. We managed to get work the admin section of the shop and have done some tests: 

One thing that we noticed immediately is that it does not seem to be possible to add customers manually. This should be possible, because maybe the shop owner adds the customers he already knows or the customers register by phone or fax. Also there should be a direct link into the store front with the credentials of a selected customer. 

There are still some things missing like orders, payment gateways (PCI compliance?), currency rates, import/export, reports, SEO, etc. Also there are some bugs which I didn’t write down, so I do not remember. 

We are evaluating a web shop for one of our customers and we thought about combining Magelia with Orchard would be a good suggestion, because Magelia seems to have great potential. Our customer would even be willing to pay for the product, if the price is reasonable. 

So what we need to know is when a commercial (or finished) version will be available and which functionality will be included at which price. 

Best regards.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM

HI, 

Thank you for evaluating Magelia WebStore for your project and for your suggestions. 

The possibility to import customers will be provided in V1 but the ability to create a customer and an order directly from the administration console will come up later.

Concerning the other features that you mention, some are under development (orders for instance). Other features will not be included into the Magelia WebStore core but will be available as modules or 'apps'. We are working on an extensibility engine that will allow to add modules to the Magelia WebStore core. Modularity is a complex issue and it will take some time. This might be late for your customer and adding custom code to Magelia Webstore would probably be the best solution in the short run.

To help you better understand if your customer's project is compatible with our MageliaWebStore release timeframe, here is a basic roadmap :

- V1 Community Edition will be released in January 2012

- V1 Professional Edition (including features such as profiles management, tier-prices, etc.) will be released end Q1/Q2 2012. Licence pricing has not been defined yet.

- Next major version including modularity should be available in Q2 2012.

By the way, the next beta releases will include setup (using WebPI); a basic asp.netMvc website, and media management.

We hope that these answers give you a better understanding of the project. Please visit www.magelia.org for more info.

Best regards,