What is the recommended way to install Magelia on Windows Azure?

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Edited Dec 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I am planning to use Magelia as Orchard module on Windows Azure.

Here are couple of approaches I see:
Windows Azure websites:
  1. Orchard is available in gallery for windows azure websites. => Install Magelia module & configure
  2. Install Magelia webstore in other website: will have to download the deployment package
    => 2.1 Publish to local IIS server
    => 2.2 Using visual studio open this website
    => 2.3 Publish on Cloud using windows azure publishing wizard
    Query: I do not see any restriction: Should Magelia & Orchard remain on same domain to work properly?
Windows Azure webrole:
  1. Create empty windows azure solution in visual studio.
  2. Add magelia & orchard webprojects into a single webrole: Query: We can not add deployment package as project into webrole. How do we handle this? Using source & then publishing would not be a wise option.
Pros: orchard & magelia can stay together. e.g. foobar.cloudapp.net/orchard & foobar.cloudapp.net/magelia

Magelia Team,
Which approach do you recommend? Also please answer by queries.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Hi,

We have not tested Magelia WebStore as a Azure Website. I know there are some limitations when using an Azure WebSite and I don't know if Magelia WebStore respect these constraints. Maybe the scheduler, ETL won't work with Azure Website.

We have tested Magelia WebStore with Azure Virtual Machine and SQL Azure.

For the following question : "Should Magelia & Orchard remain on same domain to work properly?". You can use different domain to host Magelia WebStore and Orchard. The orchard module will only use WCF services provided by Magelia.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Cyril DURAND
Marked as answer by cdurand on 1/7/2014 at 5:19 AM
Dec 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Edited Dec 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Thankyou it helped!
-Abhijeet
Jan 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Autrevo,

How did you install it on Azure?

Do you have to build a seperate full website version of Magelia first?

Does that mean that for every ecommerce you create you have to run 2 seperate instances on azure?

Borrie
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Hi borrie,

You can create an Azure Virtual Machine with SQL Azure for the administration console.

Then for each seller/store you can create an azure website which will use WebService available on the administration console.

Hope it helps,

Cyril DURAND
Jan 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Cyril,

Thank you for your answer.

So if I understand correctly Magelia is only a backend service? You can create your own website to connect to it or use a plugin for a CMS?

I don't want to use a virtual machine, can I install it as a role which connects to an azure sql database?

Also, can I use one instance of Magelia and use it for several clients? The products need to be added on the backend right? Can multiple users for multiple stores be created on one instance?

Borrie
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Magelia WebStore is a backend service but we provide an Orchard module and a complete e-commerce responsive template which use web services.

You can find more information on the e-commerce responsive template here : http://www.magelia.org/resources/Magelia-responsive-theme-template-installation-guide and a demo here http://demo.magelia.org

Actually, as I said earlier, we didn't test Magelia WebStore on Azure without virtual machine. We don't know if all features will works using an azure website.

With professional version of Magelia WebStore one instance can manage multiple stores, multiple backend users, multiple warehouses, etc. more information are available here : http://www.magelia.org/store/compare.aspx

Cyril DURAND
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Cyril,

Thanks, In the meantime i've managed to install it on azure, I've created an sql database, created a new site and copied the bin files in the site.

Everything is up and running and works fine. So no need for virtual server.

I understand that the multistore isn't available in the free version but that makes using it for smaller environments also more costfull.

So per website: You need to have a site instance (for your cms) a site instance for Magelia + a seperate database for Magelia which all costs money of course in terms of hosting.

Borrie
Jan 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Cyril,

I'm getting really exited about Magelia, the whole setup is running smoothly but I was wondering:

On my orchard site i have the localization enabled, my site has 3 languages, you select the language on top of the site and the whole site is translated in that language.

How can I link this to the Magelia module? So if I select a language that also the magelia products are shown in that language?

Borrie
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Hi Borrie,

This question is not related to the original topic. Could you create a new topic with this question ? It will be simpler for other person to find the answer :-)

Thanks,

Cyril DURAND