Downloadable software as a product. Handling Demo and Paid versions

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM
I am rebuilding my site using Orchard CMS and adding a store. In my store I will have two types of products both are software. One type will be a demo software at no charge and the second will be licensed copy for a fee.

I would like to use the store to capture information about people who are downloading the demo software as well as handle the transaction pieces of any software sold.

Since I am new to the webstore concept I have no idea what is a best approach.

When a demo product is loaded into the basket I want it to download at the end of the checkout process. Is there a coding sample for this?

When the paid version is being checked out I want it to be paid for, then start an automatic download? Again if someone has some sample code it would be appreciated.

If there is a mix of paid and demo software, I need it to be paid and then all downloads are started.

I suppose the alternative, which may be better is to simply send the customer an email with instructions and the link(s) for the downloads.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

John W.
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Perhaps this is a better explanation. A competitor store product describes it this way:

Support both free and paid products: For paid products, after buying one product, files will automatically be showed for download and 'Buy Now/Add to Cart' button will be changed to 'Download' button. For free products, you can configure which user group has permission to download files.

This is the type of process I would like to implement. Any suggestions??? Can I even do this with Megelia??

Regards

John W.
Feb 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Hi,

Yes you can do it. What we usualy implement in this kind of scenario is the following principle :

=> Downloadable products are handled in the basket as physical products
=> Once the order is created and its status is changed to "Approved" by a payment provider notification or a manual update we allow the user on the order detail page to download to access to buyed files.
=> The file access could be managed by a specific handler which check the fact that the customer has ordered and paid the product.

To implement this feature you will need to alter the order detail page and develop your own paying file handler.

May I suggest to take a look at our responsive frontend which will accelerate your store setting up : http://www.magelia.org/page/demo

Do not hesitate if you have any further question.

Best regards,
Aloys GAUTHEY
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Thank you for the response. Having the concepts really helps. I will take a closer look at the demo site.

I may ask more technical questions as I get deeper into this, especially given this is my first store setup. There is much to learn

--
Regards

John W.