How to do discounts based on PARTIAL SKU

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:05 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM
We need the capability to create a discount where it would apply to products with a partial SKU.
We currently are running Magento and have most of our promotions setup where we determine the product eligibility for the promotion based on if the SKU contains a certain letter combination.

Here is an example:
We sell education courses and all our online education courses have OL in the SKU; i.e. 20150331OLPA

Our discount for an online course may be defined like this:
If an item is FOUND  in the cart with ANY  of these conditions true: 
        SKU  contains  OL  
If an item is FOUND  in the cart with ANY  of these conditions true: 
        Row total in cart  is  159  
        Row total in cart  is  75  
        Row total in cart  is  80  
This would be the entire criteria for the discount to be applied. This means that the row total must be 159, 75, or 80 and that the SKU for the item in the row must contain the letters 'OL'. Our 8 hour courses cost $159, our 4 hour courses cost $75 or $80.

How would I do this in Maglia? I understand that I may have to write a new discount engine to do this, correct?
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM
Hi,

Magelia includes a promotion engine that enables you to benefit from many built in conditions and that can be extended by coding new custom conditions.
We still need to document that but we can guide you if you want. In your case we would:
  1. develop a custom condition for the SKU contains OL condition because the standard conditions requires an exact SKU. (est. work = 4hours of development and test)
  2. Simply configure the other condition as shown in the screen below:

Of course there are alternate methods that would not require any development suchs as adding a custom product attribute "OL" to your online courses products and use this attribute as a condition of the discount. That way you would not have to care about the price but simply about the OL attribute.

Please try the online demo available online from the Try the demo section of our website to see for yourself the standard features of Magelia. Do not forget to use the Product > Update data feature to see your changes online.

You can find detailed documentation on Magelia WebStore in the resources section of the Magelia website

Thanks for this great question which enables us to demonstrate the extensibility and flexibility of Magelia WebStore.

Please do not hesitate to get back to us if you have other question.
Best,
Yves-Alain
Feb 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM
So you are saying that the discount engine will check the SKU for a PARTIAL string?
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM
Hi,
Checking the SKU for a PARTIAL string is not a standard discount condition in Magelia WebStore but as the discount engine is extensible, we would develop a new discount condition that would do just that. The estimated time to develop a new discount condition that checks SKU for a partial string is 4hr.
Best,
Yves-Alain